Knowing what tyres are right for you can be challenging, especially if you’re brand new to motoring and buying your first car.
Even for the most experienced motorists, knowing the difference between tyre types can seem like a task. The difference between premium and budget tyres is like night and day so learning the distinction is well worth it in the long run.
Budget tyres offer you the basics at a lower price and will get you from A to B with no issues. Premium tyres, on the other hand, are more expensive but are designed to give you something extra. From better traction and superior cornering to premium materials, these tyres are engineered with the latest racecourse technology.
Being confused by car tyre basics is understandable, but this guide is here to help you decide which premium options are best suited to you.
What exactly are premium tyres?
Compared to budget and mid-range options, premium tyres are in a whole category of their own. Meticulously tested to ensure they meet the highest industry standards, these tyres offer better performance than their counterparts and a variety of game-changing features.
Though the price difference can be significant, premium tyres are noticeably safer and more cost-effective in the long run.
Financial benefits of premium tyres
- Slower wear – Initially the cost will be far higher compared to budget options, but premium tyres have a slower rate of wear, so you won’t need to change them as often. Investing in a durable option to start with will not only save you money but time and inconvenience.
- Fuel efficiency – The superior construction and quality mean that your vehicle emits less CO2 and has a better fuel economy. There is also the added benefit of reducing your carbon footprint.
Performance benefits of premium tyres
- Quieter - Premium tyres are generally quieter than other types, which not only benefits your driving experience but helps reduce the noise caused by traffic. Many top-manufacturer models feature technology that reduces the noise level within the vehicle cabin so you can stay focused on your journey.
- Better driving experience – More attention is paid to the handling, grip, and stability that outperform every other tyre, whether that’s on a dry, wet, or snow-covered road.
Due to the integrated advanced technologies and construction with high-quality materials, premium tyres like those from Goodyear have an association with racing and top-performance cars.
- Safer – Typically, premium tyres are safer to use on wet roads due to their superior grip and high-rated braking distances. Premium models typically rank high on wet grip, external noise, and fuel efficiency.